Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2008: Top 10 CDs

Every website and blog has a yearend list of some kind. Since I’m a fan of lists, I thought I’d give it a go.

While these CDs were not all released in 2008, I acquired them in 2008 (hey, it’s my blog, so it’s my rules!). I received these as gifts, burned copies, but I bought most of them. Yes someone still buys CDs; I’m soooo old-school.

I ignored a disc if it just had one good song or didn’t last too long in my CD player. But the winners here were on my MP3 in heavy rotation this year. Here’s the list:

#1 – John Mellencamp “Life, Death, Love, and Freedom”

Some call this disc depressing, a middle-aged man contemplating death. I would say to that “of course it is.” I think it’s sincere, contemplative, and speaks from the gut. Playing this will wipe your impression away of John as a smug asshole who did “Jack & Diane” back in the 80s.



#2 – Clueso “So Sehr Dabei”

I bought a boatload of discs on my Germany trip but this is the best. The songs are as good as anything on English language radio, and probably a bit better.



#3 – Ruben Blades “Mundo”

I got this on a whim and was blown away. It was released a couple of years ago. More than a world music album, it takes salsa and Celtic music and whatever and mashes it in a big bowl. There’s not much new to music these days, everything is derivative. But Ruben? Clever, top notch and original!



#4 – Mark Ronson “Version”

Chockfull of British musical celebs like Amy Winehouse, Lily Allen, and Robbie Williams. Sounds like a throwback to Tom Jones heyday, but covering current songs by newer groups like Coldplay and Britney Spears (really).



#5 – Ich + Ich “Von Selben Stern”

I know I’m out on a limb here, but these guys make me think of a German Gnarls Barkley.



#6 & 7 – The Essential Album #1 & 2

This was a bit of a cheat. It’s a collection I picked up at Tesco this summer. But I can’t seem to put the CD down. It’s loaded with hits from Euro artists like Jamie Cullum, OneRepublic, Take That, and Kate Nash, plus some golden oldies like “Wild World” from Cat Stevens. Nifty! (here's a Jamie Cullum cut below)



#8 – Muse “Black Holes + Revelations”

I’ve read they’re called Radiohead-lite, but I don’t care. These bombastic, spacey songs make my nipples hard!



#9 – Idina Menzel “I Stand”

This record keeps me in touch with my inner 12-year-old girl. Mrs. Taye Diggs (the lucky bitch!) and “Wicked” star has a great record here. Makes me sing in the shower.



#10 – David Hidalgo + Louie Perez “Unreleased Songs & Rare Recordings”

Any Los Lobos project will surely end up in my Top 10 lists. And this David and Louie collection is a no-brainer. Available only on the Los Lobos website so get yours now!



Runners Up (in no particular order)
The Killers “Day & Age”
Madonna “Hard Candy”
Kaiser Chiefs “Off With Their Heads”
Estelle “Shine”
Duffy “Rockferry”
James Morrison “Undiscovered”
Keane “Perfect Symmetry”

Missteps from Old Favorites (love the artists to death, but can’t warm up to these discs)
Coldplay “Viva La Vida”
k.d. lang “Watershed”

No comments: