Monday, January 12, 2009

Andrew Lippa's "The Wild Party"

I saw a production of this on Sunday. It was terrific. The singers were top notch and the show even had a live band. I think that's great for community theater.

The show was pretty wild with more grinding and fake sex than I've seen in ages. At one point the lead has the other lead bent over and he's "doing her", all the while singing a big song (who does that in real life besides show queens?).

If that weren't enough, during a sweet mournful ballad, down stage right was a couple canoodling and the woman giving the guy a hand-job for the whole song. Crazy shit! I guess that's what they meant by "mature" material.

Here's a number from a production by Ball State University (ironic name, huh?). It's the big comedic moment in the depraved show. "Old-fashioned (Lesbian) Love Story". I need to get that on CD.

No comments: