Friday, August 27, 2010

Michael Bublé

I got to see Mr. Michael Bublé this past week in concert. I know what you're thinking, what a douche bag (me? Mike?). But the guy is a real talent. Sure he's not the best singer, but he's a crooner. He doesn't have much range, but his tone and power is terrific. I was shocked when he closed his show by singing the last refrains of a Leon Russell's "A Song For You" without any amplification. Terrific accomplishment in an arena.
Michael has a squeaky clean imagine, but he can swear like a sailor. He's funny, charming, but never pompous. The only way I can describe his stage persona is affable; I'd like to have a beer with that guy.

He ran through several hits while all the ladies fawned over him. I'm not a huge fan of his covers (I actually don't like his "Cry Me a River" at all), but love his newer original songs like "Haven't Met You Yet." Funny thing, some gals who should have known better, wore matching T-shirts with one word on each T-shirt, "We Just Haven't Met You Yet", sitting in a row to spell out the song. I'm pretty sure they didn't throw any panties.

Here's Michael doing a cover of The Eagles' "Heartache Tonight". I like the part where Michael slides across the floor. It's awkward, goofy, and makes me jealous! I wanna slip-n-slide!

If your speakers are turned up, turn them down NOW. My camera has a habit of blowing out one's speakers.


And here's "Everything" a sweet, sweet song that can really get stuck in my head!

Had a great night at the show. I didn't nerd out like the other strange white people around me, but was glad to see him. I would wager to bet he's got a long, long career ahead of him.

Just a note about the opening act, Naturally 7. They are an a capella group that does beat box stuff along with vocals. The guys were talented but it felt more like a novelty act to me, something you would see at Disneyland or on a cruise ship. I did enjoy their rendition of George Harrison's "My Guitar Gently Weeps."

No comments: