Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Shakira: En Vivo

I went to the Shakira show last night. I was entertained with the swiveling hips and the gyrating torso – and that was just the audience! Lots of plunging necklines, raised skirts, and spilled Bud Light.

And Shakira – the woman’s body is national treasure! But after about an hour of the undulating, I was thinking “tone it down girl”. She has a unique voice and I wanted to hear more of it. I think the bass and over-dub tended to drown her out. Call me old-fashioned.

All the hits were there, “Hips Don’t Lie”, “Underneath Your Clothes”, and even the irritatingly catchy, “Waka Waka” (used to hate this song, but now like it). Painful as it was, Shakira’s worst song was there too, “She Wolf”. Really? Is that necessary?

I was glad to see an extended belly dancing routine during her early hit, “Ojos Así”. And I pleasantly giggled at her brief cover of EMF’s “Unbelievable.” But what had me most excited was my favorite Shakira song, “Inevitable.” She sang it with no dancing, just straight forward, showcasing her singing and song-writing (the way I like it).

Bad camera phone pictures alert!




Speaking of “Inevitable”, this is my favorite version of the song (I prefer Shakira a brunette too) from 1999’s MTV Unplugged.

No comments: