Wednesday, September 21, 2011

R.E.M.

I was shocked to hear the news today that R.E.M. was going their separate ways and breaking up. I understand that sometimes even the richest vein of creativity runs dry eventually. I'm thankful to them for a great run, 30+ years baby!

I'll admit, I still think of them as the 4-piece band below as I became disinterested in their work in the late 90s early 00s. But with their new disc, "Collapse", my interest as a fan became renewed and refreshed. Hmm, will have to take another listen at their back catalog.


One of my most prized bits from my R.E.M. collection is "This Film is On" on LASER DISC. Yeah, baby, I said laser disc -- picture to prove it. The content is roughly the "Out of Time" album but on film, with some proper videos and others that are mood pieces. I did always love it (and now can only play it on special occasions, like watching Dad's old slide shows).


As mentioned, their new disc is terrific. The critics and buyers were luke warm to the music, but I found it compelling, complex and enriching over multiple listenings. Check it out.


On a final note, here's one of the songs called "Country Feedback" from above laser disc (sorry for YouTube's commercials). While there have certainly been monster hits by R.E.M., moody brooding songs like this with Michael Stipe's haunting poetry is what will always endear me to this band.

Sad to see them go. Glad to have known them!

1 comment:

Doreen said...

I will miss them. It's sad when the old timers decide to split up.