Thursday, July 24, 2008

Laurie Anderson

I've been intrigued by Laurie Anderson for years, but have never had the courage to see her live. She seems way smarter than she should be and I fear that I'm just too stupid to understand her shows.

She's coming to the area where I live for her show "Homeland" and my interest has piqued...until I read the review of her show in New York. According to the "New York Times" (July 24, 2008), they say this:

"She affected wry detachment in one moment and astral wonderment in the next. At times her coolness cloaked tremors of panic. As a narrator she was not only unreliable but also mercurial, and often splintered as if through a prism.....The subject of 'Homeland' is manifold, and at 90 minutes it’s a bit too much of a ramble. Ms. Anderson sounds more curmudgeonly than clever..." (Read entire article here)

She also had Lou Reed appear with her on stage, adding to the cool factor. But I dunno. I may just have to enjoy her from a distance. I'll always remember her as the weird chick from "Language is a Virus". Then again, with the benefit of the web, you can enjoy it too.


No comments: