Thursday, July 10, 2008

Rüdesheim

Ah yes, the beauty of wine country surrounding the Rhine.

I had read so much before the trip advising to avoid Rüdesheim. It was too crowded, too many tourists, and just not worth the time - is what I read. But my memories as a kid touring here with my family made me want to come back to see it as an adult. And DAMN! It's beautiful. Yes, it's over-run with day-trippers like us, but the 3 hours the K-D boat line afforded us here was just right.
We road the Seilbahn to the top of the hill - how perfect.

We thought of buying lunch for a picnic to save on money. This would be a theme for our trip. Lunch would usually consist of a sandwich and some sort of pastry. Stupidly, I took a picture of the food IN the bag and not OUT.
And let's not forget the wine. We stopped in a wine shop and the woman had a huge bounty to chose from. When I asked for something chilled, she gave me this. Only when we reached the top of the hill did I realize, THE BOTTLE WAS OPENED AND SOME WINE HAD BEEN CONSUMED. Yep, they sold us an open bottle, for fuck sake. Delicious, none-the-less....

No comments: