Monday, March 28, 2011

Van Morrison "Saint Dominic's Preview"

In my old car I had a radio and a cassette player that I loved. I used to make mix-tapes and every once in a while would buy a used full-length tape. This Van Morrison album was one of my favorites.

"Jackie Wilson Said" was the hit, but I often found "I Will Be There" far more sentimental and closer to my heart.

The highlight of the album was the stream of consciousness "Listen to the Lion" and "Almost Independence Day," both of which could have belonged on the "Astral Weeks" album. Every time these came on, I would have to keep driving once at my destination. Didn't seem right to cut off Van during one of his trances (even if it was on a recording). And clocking in at 10 minutes plus, the songs would keep me in my own head space (hmm, maybe shouldn't have been driving, ha!)

"Saint Dominic's Preview" was another terrific track. Recorded here in 1979. The audio is a bit out of sync to the vocals, but it's great fun to watch and listen.

No comments: