Saturday, May 29, 2010

Top 4 Songs with Marching Band

It's always interesting to me when a pop artist can use a unique instrument or sound to create something new. But you just don't hear enough marching band in pop music, now do you? I don't think so.

With the popularity of Fox's "Glee" and my own new found interest in the show, I came up with my list of Top 4 Songs with Marching Band. Why 4? Um, that's as many as I could think of. So here we go:

No. 4 - Gwen Stefani "Hollaback Girl"

Not exactly 100% marching band, but when I saw her in concert, she came out in drum major uniform to sing this song. So everytime I hear that bass beat, I think it's marching band bass drum! I wish my high school band was this cool.




No. 3 - Fleetwood Mac "Tusk"

They added marching band before marching band was cool! And they used the real deal, USC marching band. The Mac didn't use some electronic machine to SOUND like a band but put real players front and center. I think this camp version from 1980's Solid Gold TV show is just that, solid gold!




No. 2 - Missy E "We Run This"

The coolest, slickest, nastiest, smartest bitch on the scene, Missy E. Mind you, she only puts the bit of marching band at the end of the song. But I can feel it throughout.... left, right, left, right and sliiiide...

What better way to appreciate the glory of the song than with a bad high school dance practice done by chunky Midwest white bitches. Crank it ladies!




No. 1 - Madonna's "4 Minutes" the Glee Cast Version

I have to give the number one spot to this song, of course, since it is the reason for my post. I was sceptical about messing with Madge's hits since I'm a kid of the 80s and have seen her twice in concert ("Like a Virgin" tour and her cone bra is forever in my mind!).

But these kids really do the song justice. And whoever arranged it thinking to add marching band was quite clever. I couldn't find a video on YouTube from the actual show since Fox has yanked them all, but here's the song in it's entirety and a picture of 2 singers. Imagine a basketball court with full marching band and a gaggle of cheerleaders performing.


No comments: