Saturday, October 30, 2010

1981 Freelancers

In 1981, the Sacramento Freelancers drum and bugle corps placed 11th at DCI Finals in Montreal, Canada. Unfortunately, that year there were "issues" with the television rights (read: money) and the finals were never aired. What did air was Midwestern Championships. Freelancers didn't place in finals at the Midwest show (ugh). So their show - even though in DCI Finals - never aired.

It was long-rumored that video WAS taken at prelims in Montreal. It was taken from the GE Box on a stationary tri-pod. But no one knew if the video really existed. Until now.

Someone has posted the video on YouTube, saying it was filmed on a beta tape, transferred to VHS, and then converted to DVD. I don't care the quality, I'm just elated! I'm hugely sentimental about this show - if you know me, you can guess that - and it really excites me to no end to see it. I mean, nearly 30 years and not ever seeing it? Wow! Anyhoo, many won't find this entertaining, but this post is just for me. Me and only me.

Here's Part 1:



Here's Part 2:

1 comment:

Doreen said...

Which one are you? ;)