Tuesday, August 30, 2011

JD House, Mendocino

I had never been to the Mendocino area and wanted to make our first trip a memorable one. I opted for a B&B rather than a hotel-motel. Yeah, it cost a few extra bob, but well-worth it.


JD House was a dream. I booked the Water Tower room because it looked funky, charming, had a fire place and NO PHONE OR TV! The white door on the left was the entrance of the room. It was separate from the main house because, well...it used to be the water tower for the house.


A close-up of the detail on the structure. I so wanted to climb up there, but they told me "no".


Kind of a weird angle to take a picture in a room, but I was trying to get in as many unique features this room had in one photo (mmm, high thread count...). One of my favorite things each night was to lie in bed, stare up at the water tower at the industrial fixtures, and look at the moon through the skylights (Okay, made that last part up--couldn't see any moon. This was foggy Mendocino after all)


A lovely large porch filled the backyard, but this intimate rickety old table and chairs is where I spent every morning with coffee.


"Hot beverages served at 8:00. Breakfast at 9:00." This was our instructions for breakfast and it became my mantra. I miss my "hot beverages" in the garden at 8:00.


A final shot from deeper into the garden, looking back towards the house. There were additional rooms in a separate building, making a total of 8, I believe. A terrific place, and I'd certainly go back.

No comments: