Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Mendocino Cafe

First night in Mendocino was a Sunday. Not much open, but easily the best place around was the city's namesake, Mendocino Cafe.


You can't go wrong with chicken skewers as appetizer and the companion fresh cabbage & cucumber salad was delightful. Oops, I'd already eaten a skewer before I took this pic, hence the smear on the plate (tacky, tacky)


With a compact funky varied menu, we had some interesting choices. I opted for something warm and picked this Thai hot pot. Our server recommended the brown rice instead of noodles (good choice) and placed the order half shrimp / half tofu. Big winner!


Roast chicken was my companion's choice. I had a taste and it too was lovely.


Vacation simply translates to a dessert every night. And we were starting things off right with this fruit crumble. Mmmm, fresh REAL whipped cream...


The cafe was such a winner we went back 2 nights later. I usually try new places while on vacation but when we did, our choice was closed (on a Tuesday? huh?). No matter, the menu is varied enough that we were spoiled for choice devouring fish entrees. Unfortunately, there aren't any pictures. Have you ever been seated in a restaurant where every table is full on the perimeter and you are seated in the middle in the only table? Like eating in a fish bowl. I felt squeamish about pulling out my camera, so I didn't. The lack of pictures doesn't distract from the quality of the food, so this place is surely one I'd go back to.

No comments: